Everyone must strive to format his resume so that it looks professional and attractive is important.
In preparing a payroll clerk job description for a resume, it is essential to list the roles.
The payroll clerk job description requires a person to be responsible for all tasks relating to payroll processing, such as issuing statements, collecting employees’ timesheets and payroll data, monitoring overtime and vacation periods, overseeing sick days, preparing paychecks, and calculating wages, detailing earnings and many more.
Article Road Map
Payroll Clerk Job Description
A payroll clerk performs the following duties:
- Process wages in the specified terms
- Issue statements of earnings and deductions
- Reconcile employee deductions
- Compile, collect and enter payroll data using appropriate software
- review and verify source documents
- Prepare and print payroll reports on earnings, hours worked, taxes, insurance, and vacation.
- Resolve employee salary-related issues and provide accurate salary information
- Complete requests for payment-related documents, including statements and verification
- Calculate and post payroll deductions
- Investigate and correct payroll irregularities and errors
- Update your payroll records by recording changes, including insurance coverage, salary increases, and loan payments,
- Process new hires, terminations, transfers, and promotions
- Produce federal, state, and local tax payments
- Develop, manage and maintain a comprehensive payroll agenda
- Ensure full compliance with federal and state regulations and guidelines
Expert Shipping Clerk Job Description Examples.
What Should Be In A Payroll Clerk Resume
The following should be in your payroll clerk resume;
1. Your Relevant Education Background
You must fill out the resume’s education section. It should include:
- Understanding internal controls
- Knowing federal and state payroll regulations and requirements
- The name of your degree
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience in payroll processing
- Good working knowledge of relevant software
- understanding of basic accounting principles
- If you graduated over 15 years ago, you should consider canceling your graduation date to avoid age discrimination.
- Additionally, if you are a recent graduate, you may place the education section above the experience section.
- The more work experience you gain, the shorter your education portion should be
- List your education in reverse chronological order, first listing your most recent and highest-ranking degrees.
Legal Administrative Assistant Job Description (2022).
2. Highlight Your Payroll Clerk Certifications
Certifications can be an effective tool to show employers that you know what you’re doing. If you have any of these certifications listed below, be sure to list them on your payroll accountant resume:
- Certified Professional – Human Resource (IPMA-CP)
- Payroll Certification
- Academic awards like Dean’s List, Latin honors, etc.
- GPA if you are a new graduate and your GPA was 3.5+
- Extra certifications
- Academic projects (thesis, dissertation, etc.)
- Certified Medical Office Manager (CMOM)
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC)
- Certified Manager Certification (CM)
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
3. Contact Information
Your address does not need to include your street or house number – listing your city and state works fine.
Your name should be bold on the page and at or near the top of the document.
You can include your social media if you have a complete LinkedIn or other social media page showcasing your relevant skills.
Your email address should look professional, but not your current work email address. Using your work email for personal projects like job hunting is not a good idea.
Office Supervisor Job Description | What Does An Office Supervisor Do?
4. Payroll Clerk Experience
The experience you put on your resume should be relevant to the job you’re applying for. Use the job description to ensure that every bullet point on your resume is relevant and valuable.
Make sure most of your bullet points talk about impressive accomplishments from past positions. Use numbers to contextualize your achievements for the hiring manager to read your resume.
Recruiters and hiring managers expect your experience to be listed in reverse chronological order, meaning you should start with the most recent knowledge and work backward.
The most crucial part of any resume is the experience section.
5. Payroll Clerk Skills
If you are yet to start your job search, you can review resumes to get an idea of the essential skills.
The skills section on your resume must have the most important keywords from the job description if you have those skills.
You must emphasize the skills that are most important to the job
Hard skills are necessary for hiring managers because they relate to on-the-job knowledge and specific experience with a particular technology or process.
Soft skills are also valuable because they are highly transferable and will make you a great person to work with, but you cannot demonstrate them on a resume.
Below are the skills you can include on your resume:
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong numerical skills, including the ability to perform calculations quickly and accurately
- Planning and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Problem-solving skills, including the ability to identify and resolve problems quickly and effectively.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to provide information to staff clearly and concisely
- Collection, analysis, and management of information
- Solid data entry skills
- Customer service orientation
- Stress resistance
- Multi-tasking etc.
Help Desk Job Description Examples.
6. A Summary Or Objective Statement
It is imperative to state your objective statement.
It would be best to emphasize payroll, accounts payable & accounts receivable functions.
It is vital to state how you intend to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and follow through to achieve project goals.
You must prove your ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks.
You must also show you are a fast learner and quickly absorb and utilize new methods.
A resume summary statement is one to three sentences at the top of your resume that summarizes who you are and what you have to offer. In this section, list your job title, years of experience if more than three years, and impressive accomplishments if you have space for it.
You can use specific resume tools to create a modern-looking and acceptable resume.
Your work accomplishments or feats tell the story of the unique value you bring to the organization. Stay away from dry job descriptions, and use numbers to help you put your achievements into context.
Smart keyword usage is the key to getting your resume through the ATS and into the hands of hiring managers.