Are you looking to work at Shell? Do you want to know how to ace your shell interview?
Without question, Shell is one of the largest Oil and Gas companies in Nigeria, and it’s a dream workplace for anyone trying to build a career but to be qualified to work there, you must pass your interview.
Interviews have a tendency to make you feel jittery and anxious even, most especially if the company you want to interview for, in this case, Shell, sets a high standard for selection.
However, do not be worried; being of a calm and relaxed mind is very vital to the overall success of your interview.
Year after year, a great number of people apply for jobs at Shell, however, only a few select people get the jobs. According to research, about 60% of people that apply for Shell openings get disqualified from the online assessment.
The competition for Shell jobs has become tougher, so to get the job you are applying you must perform really well at every stage of the recruitment process.
Read Also How To Sell Yourself In An Interview: Tactics
The recruitment process is divided into four stages or segments;
- Online Application
- Online Assessment
- Video Interview
- Final Assessment
Shell screens the thousands of candidates that apply through these segments to select the best candidate they believe is suited for the job.
Article Road Map
1. Shell Online Job Application
This is the first stage in the Shell interview; applying online. To apply for Shell jobs, there must have been an opening. To see if there are any job vacancies, visit Shell’s career page or check other job listing platforms.
To apply for a job at Shell, you will have to fill out an online form. You will be required to provide certain information like;
- Educational qualifications
- Academic background
- Work experience
- You will also be asked to select a business area
Note: Before you apply, make sure that you are eligible to work in the country where you are based. Your online application should not last more than 5-10 minutes.
If you are not sure about the career path to choose when filing your application, you can make use of the Shell degree matcher tool to find the career path that best suits you.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria;
- Must have completed your undergraduate degree
- Must have graduated with a minimum of 2:1( Second Class Upper degree)
- Must have completed your National Youth Service Corps(NYSC) with proof of discharge certificate
Read Also Government Interview Questions
2. Shell Online Assessment Test
If you successfully applied online, the next step of the shell interview is the online assessment test. This is the point where you have to take an online test and acing it qualifies you to move to the next level.
Depending on your career path you may have to take two tests. However, the online tests include the following;
- Verbal reasoning test
- Numerical reasoning test
- Logical reasoning test
These tests are usually timed; you have 4 minutes to complete each section of the online assessment. You are allowed just 10 days to complete all the assessments when you have received a link to the test portal.
Bear in mind that the online test assessments are one of the most critical stages of the interview as most candidates are disqualified at this stage.
An expert tip is to practice sample questions online or better still get a GMAT and practice frequently. This will increases your chances of success at this level.
3. Shell Working Style Assessment
This is the next phase of the shell interview process after the online assessment test. This aspect accesses you to see if you will be a good fit for the position based on Shell’s standards.
Your interviewer will assess your approach to working and preferred behavior across key personality factors. This test takes about 10-12 minutes to complete at max.
Expert Tips To A Successful Shell Working Style Assessment
- Take note of the type of skills that matches the job you are applying for when taking the working style assessment
- Demonstrate competence
- Leadership skills and team player skills are also considered during this stage, so make sure you are well equipped with them.
- Answer the questions you are asked honestly
- Try to be yourself.
Once you are finished with the working style assessment, you will receive a working styles report based on how you answered the questions.
Read Also What Is A Screening Interview?
If you get to this stage, congratulations! You’re doing it! At this level, you would be required to take a short pre-recorded video interview. This is the ultimate opportunity for you to tell Shell about yourself and why you are the best man for the job.
Here you will be asked a series of pre-recorded competency-based questions and Shell will allow you to record the interview at any interview-enabled location at a time most convenient to you.
For every question, you would be given 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to record your answer. This assessment lasts for about 25-30 minutes.
Expert Tips to Ace Shell Video Interview
- Make a thorough research on the company and the position that you are applying for
- Practice and study the competency-based questions so you can be prepared to respond with confidence.
- When you want to take the video interview, make sure you find a quiet place to avoid interruptions.
- Be ready and prepared at least 20 minutes before the video interview to ensure you are calm and relaxed.
- Possessing good speaking or communication skills will help you at this stage. Try to confidently convince your interviewer that you are the best person for the position you are vying for.
- Choose a time most convenient for you for the job interview.
- Shell’s core values are capacity, achievement, and responsibility. Make sure your answers revolve around these three values.
- Answer using the STAR method
The STAR Method
STAR is an acronym that stands for – Situation, Task, Action, and Result. It’s a behavioral interview technique that focuses on discussing a candidate’s concrete experiences and you will be evaluated using this method
- Situation – describe the situation you were in.
- Task – what were the goals you set out to accomplish?
- Action – what actions did you take to accomplish them?
- Results – what were the measurable results of your actions?
Try to prepare a mental list of life and career situations that you can share and the relevant details; it will enable you to deliver stronger responses.
Read Also Interview Questions To Discover Commitment And Motivation
This is the final lap of the Shell interview. Here, you will be asked to participate in an online interview with two professionals from Shell and you would be required to share your thoughts on a particular case study.
The company will give you an opportunity to review this case study 48 hours prior to the time of the online interview and on the day of your assessment, you will be given a topic that is related to your case study and then given 20 minutes to prepare for a 5-minute presentation.
Take note that you would need to study and prepare well for this interview.
If you successfully get to this point, then you deserve some accolades! After acing all the stages of the Shell interview, you will receive a mail from Shell inviting you to visit.
You will be welcomed by a variety of people ranging from new employees to senior workers. And your journey as an employee of the renowned Shell would begin.
Getting your desired job is a dream come true especially if you put in a lot of effort to see it come to fruition. Shell is a big company that has been at the forefront of the oil and gas industry for a long time and as expected getting in may not be so easy.
A successful career is not devoid of hard work. Though the tips we provided may seem a little tasking at the end of the day, it’ll all be worth it. Follow the tips we’ve provided to help you ace your Shell interview!
Do not forget to share if this post has been helpful.