Not far too long into your interview, employers will typically ask you questions like ‘how did you hear about this position?; or ‘how did you hear about us?’. They ask these questions to learn about your motivations behind applying to their company and they expect a specific answer in response.
Stuttering or sounding confused or uncertain would not cut it. We all know the importance of making good first impressions, especially during your interview.
So when you are asked a question as crucial as this, you should put on your garment of confidence and excitement and provide them with the answers they need.
In this article, we will be looking at the best ways to answer the question ‘how did you hear about this position?’, providing sample answers that can help you craft a perfect response, and highlighting some common mistakes you should avoid.
Article Road Map
- Why Do Employers Ask “How Did You Hear About This Position?”
- How To Answer “How Did You Hear About This Position?”
- Sample Answers Of “How Did You Hear About The Position?”
- Mistakes To Avoid When Answering “How Did You Hear About This Position?”
- Points To Emphasize In Your Answer To “Where Did You Hear About Us Or This Job”
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do You Answer How Do You Feel About This Position?
- Why Are You Interested In This Position?
- What Can You Bring To The company?
- What Qualities Make You A Good Candidate?
- How Do You See Yourself 5 Years From Now?
- What Interests You About The Position Offered?
- Why Should We Hire You With No Experience?
- How Do You Handle Stress And Pressure?
- Why Do You Want To Work For Us?
Why Do Employers Ask “How Did You Hear About This Position?”
There are a couple of reasons why employers would ask ‘how did you hear about this position?’. First and foremost, they are curious.
They are interested in knowing which of their efforts was most effective. Employers advertise their job openings through various streams of media and with their knowledge of how you heard about the job opening, they will be able to make evaluations and find areas where they need to put in more effort.
Another sensitive reason they ask is to find out your motivations and excitement for the job. Employers are looking out to employ individuals with a clear definition of what they want. They use the question as a means to assess your zeal and passion for the role you are applying for.
Employers also ask questions like ‘why did you apply for this job?’, ‘why do you want this job?’ and ‘what do you know about our company?’ for the same reasons.
Your potential employers will also want to learn if you have any internal connections with the company. You will have more edge over other applicants if you learned about the job from a company employee.
The employer may ask the employee that referred you about your character, qualities, and professional experience. If the result is positive, the reference can help you stand out.
- Read Also: How to Answer “Why Should We Hire You?”
How To Answer “How Did You Hear About This Position?”
A question asked in an interview is an opportunity to express yourself and convince your employers that you are the best man for the job. To provide effective answers, you should follow the steps below;
1. Show Excitement
Employers want to see that you are passionate, enthusiastic, self-motivated, and invested in your job. When answering, make sure you describe what attracted you to the job and your intent carefully.
Explain to your potential employers why you are applying for the post and why you are the best person for the job. You can also discuss employee growth opportunities and positive work culture.
2. Drop A Name If Possible
Did you hear about the job from an employee of the company? Now is the perfect time to share that information. Explain to your interviewer why your referee thinks you are perfect for the role, the relationship you share with him, and the length of time you’ve known each other. The employee’s reference may work in your favor and help you stand out from the other applicants.
3. Be Specific
When answering the question ‘how did you hear about this position?’, it would be wise to be specific and honest with your answers. Provide specifics as to the exact place you found the job posting, and why you found it appealing to you.
In a case where you do not remember where you saw the job opening, be honest with your answer since your employers know exactly where they posted it. Admitting that you do not remember where you found it is not wrong. Just make sure you follow up with the reasons you applied and why you find the job exciting.
- Read More: How To Answer 10 Tough Interview Questions.
Sample Answers Of “How Did You Hear About The Position?”
“I’m actively searching for a job right now and found the job posting on LinkedIn while searching for Senior Engineer positions. I reviewed the job description on LinkedIn before applying and it seemed like a great potential fit so I wanted to apply and learn more about the opportunity to see if it’s a good match.”
“I wasn’t actively looking for a job change, but a colleague mentioned that she saw you were hiring on your website and said she had heard good things about your work environment. I went to your website and did some reading on the Careers page and liked what I saw, so I decided I should apply and learn more about the opportunity.”
Mistakes To Avoid When Answering “How Did You Hear About This Position?”
As much as you want to impress your potential employers when answering ‘how did you hear about this position?’, there are certain things you should avoid saying in response.
Here are some answers you should avoid giving:
1 Do not say you’re not sure or you don’t remember. It will only make you seem scattered or disorganized in your job search which will only make it difficult for you to get hired.
2. Try not to sound desperate with your answers. If you give the impression that you are applying for just any job as long as you get hired, you may not be accepted. Employers like to hire people who know what they want and are passionate about it.
3. Honesty is always the best policy. Do not tell a lie that you saw the job posting on a particular place when you did not. Always remember that your employers know more than you do.
The best answers are always brief, straight to the point, and honest. If your interviewers need more information, they will ask you for it.
We recommend that you keep your answer concise preferably one or two sentences maximum.
Points To Emphasize In Your Answer To “Where Did You Hear About Us Or This Job”
- Mention the source from which you heard of the position clearly
- You do not need to elaborate in detail. All you have to do is the name of the individual, company, or resource
- Talk about the things that attracted you to the position
- Tell your interviewers the reason why you feel you are qualified for the job
- Show your enthusiasm/excitement about the possibility of gaining the position.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Answer How Do You Feel About This Position?
To start answering ‘Why do you want this job?’, try to speak as calmly and clearly as possible. Stick to the main reasons. Remember that you are simply giving the reasons why you want the job and why you are the best fit for this job. You can start with any of the following phrases;
1. ‘This opportunity is really exciting for me as I will be able to…’
2. ‘I see the role as a way of developing my career in a forward-thinking/well-established company/industry as…’
3. ‘I feel I will succeed in the role because I have experience in/soft skills that demonstrate/ I’ve taken this course…
Why Are You Interested In This Position?
1. “I see this job as an opportunity to contribute to an exciting/forward-thinking/fast-moving company/industry, and I feel I can do so by/with my …”
2. “I believe my skills are particularly well-suited to this position because …”
3. “I believe I have the type of knowledge to succeed in this role and at the company because …
What Can You Bring To The company?
The simple guide to answer this question is to say that you bring all of your skills, qualities, values, interests, academic knowledge, internships, and life experience to the company.
What Qualities Make You A Good Candidate?
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
Dependability and a Strong Work Ethic
Maturity and a Professional Attitude
Adaptability and Flexibility
How Do You See Yourself 5 Years From Now?
In 5 years, I want to be more responsible, knowledgeable, and experienced. I will ensure that I explore skills and make use of opportunities. I also see myself learning and growing with every experience.
What Interests You About The Position Offered?
Focus on the company – Highlighting your interest in the company due to its reputation, history, or innovation within the industry is a great angle to come from when answering this question. It demonstrates that you are aware of the company’s growth and that you would like to be a part of it.
Why Should We Hire You With No Experience?
Sample Answer – If I am hired, I promise to be productive and trustworthy and I will work hard to add value to your team. Although I am a fresher, I have good practical and theoretical knowledge and I also finish my tasks on time
How Do You Handle Stress And Pressure?
Your answer has to show commitment to positivity.
Decide what you can do.
Get support from someone you trust
Take good care of yourself.
Why Do You Want To Work For Us?
To answer, try to express your passion for the employer’s product/service/mission and endeavor to connect your passion to the company’s core values, which can often be found on their website.
The most impressive job seekers demonstrate that they are being careful with their job search and they are looking for the right job; not just any job.
When asked ‘how did you hear about this position?’, your goal should be to show the company that you are searching for a job with purpose and not desperately applying for just any job you find.
Your answer should show that your needs, wants and values align with that of the company. Also, ensure that you are honest with your responses and you keep them brief.
Has this article been helpful? Kindly share and leave a comment in the section below.