A social media producer is someone who creates and distributes relevant content on social media platforms and company websites.
Their responsibilities may include pitching ideas to reporters that can be developed into relevant stories, as well as writing or editing content for posting.
Social media producers may work with both written and visual content, which means they may film videos, edit videos, or edit photographs or images used in their posts.
They are specifically responsible for understanding their audience, monitoring breaking news, responding quickly to developments, producing posts, and providing content that will appeal to the target audience.
One of their primary goals is to increase website and social media traffic by reaching out to a larger audience with their content.
Article Road Map
Samples Of A Social Media Producer’s Job Description
A social media producer must have a sharp editorial eye and a firm grasp of the current social media zeitgeist, as well as the strategic skills to plan campaigns that can grow and engage audiences.
Below are samples of different social media producers’ job descriptions.
Our company is looking for a social media producer to join our team.
Social Media Producers’ Responsibilities
- Prep articles ahead of their airtime on GMA for the site.
- Identify new social opportunities while partnering with show producers.
- Responsible for guiding the voice of Good Morning America on social media during overnight hours while the U.S. team is offline.
- Schedule content on social media for overnight and morning ahead of the show.
- Be able to cover the homepage and ABC News team as the role sees fit.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a social media strategy to drive followers, engagement, and conversation across all social arms.
- Produce, shoot, edit and write engaging articles and videos around London for GMA and ABC News.
- Prep and send GMA’s daily wake-up newsletter.
- Be responsible for covering and pushing out relevant international breaking news updates.
- Work closely with the senior social media editor to enhance GMA’s social presence;
- Contribute to digital original pieces on the royals and prep write-ups for on-air segments on the royal family.
Social Media Producers’ Requirements:
- Ability to adapt your TOV to align with a brand following;
- Write engaging social copy for multiple channels including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram;
- Worked for exciting brands creating content;
- Experience using photoshop or other adobe creative products;
- In depth understanding of social platforms, trends, and social marketing best practices;
- Worked on video or photo shoots;
- Open to travel and ad hoc working hours days;
- Passion for music, fashion, and sport;
- Created and managed content calendars.
Social Media Producers’ Responsibilities:
- Create and edit new, original, and highly engaging content that showcases local merchants.
- After being introduced, set up appointments to visit local merchants to shoot videos, take pictures and learn about the local business in order to make an engaging post.
- Shoot photography and video content designed specifically for Instagram Stories and Reels.
- Work closely with the Hearst marketing and content curation teams to create a copy as needed.
- Participate in periodic internal meetings to ensure alignment around goals and schedules.
- Quickly identify emerging social media trends (audio, video, etc) that can increase the impact of our work and develop content that aligns with these trends.
Social Media Producer’s Requirements:
- Proven ability to be highly professional when meeting interview subjects in the field, while also acting as an all-in-one producer behind the scenes.
- 1+ years of digital marketing experience, with an understanding of social media platforms and trends. Particularly experienced using social media in a business setting (vs. purely personal or for causes).
- Proven experience creating and curating Instagram reels. Strong photography, videography, and video editing skills.
- Ability to work on a fast-paced highly collaborative team. Comfortable meeting short deadlines and following high-level creative direction.
- Experience working with Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Strong desire to deliver the best possible result.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be comfortable meeting new people.
- Must be willing to travel to various merchant physical locations to create content. Applicable travel expenses are covered through standard Hearst policies.
Social media producers need to have relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree.
Fields of study that can prepare individuals for this career option include communications and journalism.
Since computer skills and video and photo editing skills are important in this field, those considering this career may want to take courses in Photoshop, HTML, and CSS, as well as gain experience in using social media platforms.
The ability to multitask is important for social media producers because they must monitor breaking news and develop stories so that they are aware of current events and respond accordingly.
For example, they may not want to promote an article about airplane safety as news of a plane crash is breaking online.
They need to have sound judgment so that they can make appropriate decisions based on new information and adjust the material they’re releasing if necessary.
They may collaborate with graphic artists, video editors, photographers and reporters, so they need to be able to communicate effectively and work as part of a team.
Since they are involved with preparing and editing content, they need to be clear communicators.
They must also be highly knowledgeable in the area of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and in the development of mobile apps.
How Much Does A Social Media Producer Make?
According to the U.S.A bureau of labour statistics, The average Social Media Producer salary is $59,321 as of October 27, 2022, but the salary range typically falls between $52,202 and $66,740.
Social media producers aren’t listed separately by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS); instead, it includes social media specialists in the broader group of public relations specialists.
Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, and the number of years you have spent in your profession.
What Are The Top 10 Highest Paying Cities For Social Media Producers Jobs
We’ve identified 10 cities where the typical salary for a Social Media Producer job is above the national average.
Topping the list is Atkinson, NE, with Frankston, TX, and Inverness CA close behind in the second and third positions. Inverness, CA beats the national average by $13,518 (21.9%), and Atkinson, NE furthers that trend with another $18,326 (29.7%) above the $61,691 average.
With these 10 cities having average salaries higher than the national average, the opportunities for economic advancement by changing locations as a Social Media Producer appear to be exceedingly fruitful.
Finally, another factor to consider is the average salary for these top ten cities varies very little at 14% between Atkinson, NE, and Skyline-Ganipa, NM, reinforcing the limited potential for much wage advancement.
The possibility of a lower cost of living may be the best factor to use when considering location and salary for a Social Media Content Producer role.
Five Top Best Paying Related Social Media Content Producer Jobs in the U.S.?
We discovered at least five Social Media Producer jobs that pay more per year than the average Social Media Producer’s salary.
Examples of these roles include Interactive Digital Producer, Visual Producer, and UX Producer.
Importantly, all of these jobs pay between $33,431 (54.2%) and $43,861 (71.1%) more than the national average for Social Media Content Producers, which is $61,691.
If you’re qualified, getting hired for one of these related Social Media Producer jobs could help you earn more money than the average Social
1. What is the highest pay for Social Media Producers?
Our data indicate that the highest pay for a Social Media Producer is $82k / per year
2. What is the lowest pay for Social Media Producers?
Our data indicate that the lowest pay for a Social Media Producer is $38k / per year
3. How can Social Media Producers increase their salary?
Change of employer: Consider a career move to a new employer that is willing to pay higher for your skills.
Level of Education: Gaining advanced degrees may allow this role to increase their income potential and qualify for promotions.
Managing Experience: If you are a Social Media Producer that oversees more junior Social Media Producers, this experience can increase the likelihood to earn more.
Social media is an essential part of all major entertainment programming, with audiences seeking, and interacting with, program-related content that is only available online.
So if you are aspiring to become a social media producer, you should anticipate everything mentioned in this article.
Thanks for reading!
Don’t forget to like, follow and share.