Website Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council is a humanitarian, non-governmental organisation that protects the rights of people affected by displacement.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Coordinator
Job Identification Number: 6806
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Category: Shelter
- The purpose of the Shelter Coordinator position is to implement delegated Shelter project portfolio in Area Borno South and Adamawa.
- NRC has been present in Nigeria since 2015 and has been working to help displacement affected communities meet their basic needs, improve their livelihoods, access essential services, and enhance their resilience to future shocks through our six core competencies: water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Shelter, Education, Information-Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS), Camp Management, and Protection.
- NRC provides immediate assistance during the onset of emergencies through the rapid response mechanism (RRM).
- With a workforce of 370 staff and presence in key locations such as Maiduguri (in Borno State), Yola (in Adamawa state) and JOS (in Plateau state), NRC is able to respond to the needs of those affected by the conflict across North-East, and North Central Nigeria.
Generic Responsibilities (max 10):
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan:
- Line management of Shelter project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to Shelter strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Shelter projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from Area Manager and Shelter Specialist in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to Area Manager and Shelter Specialist
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Ensure project data collection and management and work closely with M&E to update relevant NRC tools (GORS, Internal Database, achievement and progress of project log frames)
- Contribute to the design of technical implementation documents for Shelter projects
- Contribute to donor reports
- Ensure standards for implementation are known and applied among shelter team
- Participate in rapid assessments in new areas of intervention
- Contribute to finding solutions to implementation challenges and constraints in a changing context
- Provide technical support to other relevant NRC coordinators (Education, ICLA, WASH and FSL) for the development of community infrastructures.
- Maintain the requirement level of performance capacity of local technicians, and identify the need for additional training.
- Regular visits to the area and sites of implementation for quality checks the of the ongoing and completed works, make correction and provide relevant recommendations.
- Record and document good practices, lesson learned and establish a database in coordination with M&E to capture Shelter program performance.
- In collaboration with the Shelter Specialist and Area Manager, play a key role in recruiting Shelter field staff
- In coordination with the Shelter Specialist and Area Manager, represent NRC in coordination meetings with local authorities and NGOs when required.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience from working a Shelter Officer project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Knowledge of emergency, transitional and permanent construction requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
Application Closing Date
18th July, 2022 (12:38 PM).
To apply for this job please visit ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.