United Purpose is a movement of people and organisations that strive to end poverty and inequality across the globe. We are a leader in community-led development and grassroots innovation.
For more than 40 years, we have worked with frontline activists, community organisations and individuals to help people gain agency over their own lives – so they can move Beyond Aid.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Director, Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Career Category: Program / Project Management
- United Purpose are looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial professional with significant programme management and proven new business development experience, to drive forward the Group’s mission and vision and deepening of our impact, through delivering high quality programmes and ensuring that the processes of planning, implementation as well as monitoring, evaluation and learning, are robust.
- The Country Director will be responsible for overseeing all areas of UP’s operations in Nigeria, providing leadership and strategy guidance to the UP team, with two direct reports and a mandate to expand operations.
- The key responsibility of this role is the development, delivery and recalibration of the country strategy to ensure the strategy is fit for purpose, aligned to our Global Strategy and that we are achieving significant impact for participants of our programming.
- The Country Director will take full ownership for growing UP’s operations in Nigeria. This will focus on growing the funding base and exploring new income streams to increase our footprint and maximise our impact through securing and implementing new projects.
- The Country Director will collaborate with international organisations, national government, national organisations and the private sector to design and finance innovative programmes that strengthen agricultural value chains, support entrepreneurs and their businesses and drive rural economic development to reduce poverty.
New Business Development and Stakeholder Relationship Management:
- You will be responsible for building relationships in-country to identify new opportunities and win funding for new projects
- You will build in-country partnerships to expand our footprint and impact in Nigeria
- You will work to forge strategic alliances and seeking out new business opportunities.
- You will represent UP in national, regional and international fora and build the organisation’s profile
Programme Management & Operations:
- You will develop, present and implement the strategic vision, overall goals and objectives for UP
- You will oversee the implementation of all programmes in Nigeria, ensuring UP meets all key targets
- You will work with the Head of Programmes to ensure all programmes are effectively monitored and evaluated so we can demonstrate our success, impact and value for money
- You will work with the Head of Programmes to vet and manage any implementation partners
- You will ensure that UP is recognised as thought leaders in agriculture and agribusiness in Nigeria
- You will manage a large and diverse team, providing direct line management to members of the Country Management Team
- You will ensure efficiencies in the operation of a joint country team through the use of shared services
- You will oversee talent acquisition, with a particular focus on championing local talent
Finance, Audit and Risk:
- You will line manage UP’s Head of Finance and Administration in Nigeria
- You will oversee the financial management and will ensure programmes are delivered in a cost-effective manner, ensuring a value for money approach and that major costs are successfully recovered from programme funding
- You will ensure a culture of accountability and adherence to group policies and staff welfare & security
- You will ensure compliance with all programme and donor requirements
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of five years’ senior management experience
- Previous experience running multi-sectoral teams to deliver complex programmes either in a development or private sector setting in sub-Saharan Africa
- Proven ability to secure new income opportunities through proactive and sustained business development
- Proven ability to develop, implement and adapt organisational and business strategy
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both in formal and informal settings
- Strong financial analysis and management skills
- Fluency in English
Application Closing Date
25th July, 2022 by 5pm.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using “Country Director, Nigeria” as the subject of the email.
- In the Cover Letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How do your skills and experience meet the person’s specification
- When you would be able to take up the position if it were offered to you
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications may be reviewed as they are submitted.
- Any candidate offered a job with United Purpose will be expected to sign the United Purpose’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
- Specific roles may require Police/DBS/Garda vetting.
- United Purpose strives to be an equal opportunities employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org