How To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

When foreigners travel to another country, they take their drivers license.

Fortunately, some countries offer a limited period where they can use their old drivers license. However, they must still have to get a drivers license from their current country of residence. 


Naturally, some are confused about how to convert foreign drivers licenses. This article will help you with how to go about this situation.

Article Road Map

Procedure To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

How To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

Here is a practical way to convert Foreign Drivers Licenses:

  • To apply for converting or exchanging Foreign Drivers License in person, the applicant must visit the nearest Driving License Centre in their state.
  • They must visit the DLC and request that they want to convert or exchange your Foreign Drivers License into a Nigerian Driving License.
  • They must submit the documents to the relevant authority at the office, and the official will direct them to the State Vehicle Inspection Office for a skill/knowledge test.
  • If they are successful in the test, they will be issued a Drivers Test Certificate, which they should submit at the Driving License Centre.
  • After receiving all the required documents, the Foreign Drivers License Desk officer will perform further verification.
  • If all the submitted documents are in order, they will approve the request, and the authority will allocate a unique reference number.
  • They will email the applicant and instruct them to visit the DLC and pay the necessary fees.
  • After payment confirmation at the State Board of Internal Revenue, they will redirect the applicant to the DLC for capturing Biometric Data and receiving a Temporary Drivers License.
  • Once all the internal processes are over and the license is ready for collection, they will instruct the applicant to collect it.
Read Also What Is The Average Work Hours Per Week In The US?

What Disqualifies You To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

Certain conditions can disqualify you from converting foreign drivers licenses. Some of these conditions include:

  • The driver must complete a driving test or driver training within two months.
  • Upon completing the test or training, the driver can apply for an exchange of foreign license or refund the drivers license, whichever is applicable. The driver must receive the license ten years ago.
  • They do not pass psychological tests.
  • Driver must have an EU license for the last ten years.

Required Documents To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

Some documents are needed to convert a foreign drivers license. Such documents include

  • International Passport Data page
  • Foreign Driving License document
  • Drivers Test Certificate
  • Proof/receipt of payment
  • Proof of Permanent Residence.

Eligibility To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

Applicants must complete the application form accurately and altogether to avoid rejections. 

Also, they must furnish all the required documents completely.

The applicants should provide the reference number wherever necessary during the different processes.


As a foreigner, you can drive on a driving license from any state outside the EU/EEA for up to one year, provided the driving license is current and valid. 

However, to obtain a residence permit in a foreign country, you must exchange your driving license or apply for a driving license. 

They consider you a typical resident if you usually live here for at least 185 days each calendar year because of personal and occupational ties. I

For a country to be eligible to convert a foreign driver’s license, they must have an agreement with certain countries/states that approve them as recognized states to convert foreign driving licenses. 

When you are a license holder under 21 in categories C or CE, and under 24 in categories D or DE, you must have a CPC qualification to obtain these categories in exchange for your drivers license.

To do this, you must first exchange your foreign drivers license and obtain other category qualifications.

Then fill out the CPC and add sections C and CE, or D and DE to your drivers license where applicable, provided that within a year of exchange of your drivers license.

Read Also 10 Best Ways To Be Happier At Work

Required Data To Convert Foreign Drivers Licenses

There is information that you must provide to convert foreign drivers licenses. Such data include:

  • Names, Physical and Postal Address of Applicant
  • International Passport number
  • Contact details
  • Banking particulars
  • Payment receipt number
  • Foreign License number and other particulars

International Driving Permit

Foreigners in a new country should see an international driving license (IDP) as a translation of your license, not a change. 

It is because thee foreign country expects you to produce your license for testing when renting a car.

All EU countries and the European Economic Area (EEA) – EU and Norway, Liechtenstein, and Iceland – benefit from a ”consultation” agreement on drivers licenses.

You must have a current and legal license from your country of residence to apply for an International Driving Permit.

There are two types of International Driving permits:

  • 1949 UN Convention International Driving Permit

It is a more common type of driving permit. It is recognized and accepted in most countries

  • 1926 UN Convention International Driving

It is an accepted driving permit. One can use it in countries like Brazil, Iraq, Nigeria, and Somalia.

You can use your permit in any country that signed the 1926 or 1949 UN Convention on Roadmap. In addition, many other countries that did not sign the 1949 convention recognize the IDP and have adopted it in their territories.

You should consult with your agent or ambassador before the trip to ensure that the IDP is recognized or not.

Read Also How To Determine If A Job Is A Good Fit For You

Eligible Countries You Can Convert Their Foreign Drivers Licenses

Only eligible countries can convert their foreign drivers licenses. Here are countries you can convert their foreign driving licenses:

  • Great Britain
  • Jersey
  • Guernsey
  • Isle Of Man
  • EU/ EEA countries
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • The British Virgin Islands
  • Provinces and Territories of Canada
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Monaco
  • Republic of Korea
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • Switzerland
  • Zimbabwe
  • Motorcycle entitlement from the Republic of Korea and Faroe Islands is not exchangeable.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.